Seventh-day Adventists falsely argue that since the Sabbath day is called “Holy” therefore Christians must keep it.
Sabbatarian proof text: For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy. Ex 20:11
Yet all of the Jewish Holy Days were called “holy”!!! Like Passover: Ex 12:14-17 According to Adventist logic, they should be practicing all the Jewish holy days. (Gal 4:10 condemns the keeping of Jewish holy days!)
The “Holy” Sabbath Was Abolished:
A. The Sabbath day differed in no way from other Jewish holy days. The Sabbath is not the only “holy day” in the Old Covenant. All of these days are described as HOLY:
- Passover: Ex 12:14-17; Lev 23:16,23
- 1st day of the 7th month: Lev 23:23-25; Neh 8:1,9,11
- 14th & 21st day of the 1st month: Ex 12:1,6,16
- 15th day of the 7th month: Lev 23:34-38
- Sabbath day: Ex 20:11
B. The same arguments used for the continuance of the Sabbath can be made of the Passover feast. Do Seventh-day Adventists keep the Jewish Passover?
NOTE: Incredibly, when some Sabbatarians, like the Herbert W. Armstrong splinter groups, are presented with this chart, they chose to slide deeper down the pit into Judaizing! Rather than giving up the weekly Sabbath, they started keeping all the Jewish holy day which were abolished in Col 2:14-16 and condemned in Gal 4:10!
Both the Sabbath and the Passover share these qualities:
- Both Spoken by the Lord: Ex 12:1,3
- Both were “It was the Lord’s” : Ex 12:11
- Both a memorial: Ex 12:14
- Both to be kept forever, eternally : Ex 12:14
- Death penalty/cut off for violation of both : Ex 12:12-13,15
- Both a “Holy” day: Ex 12:16
- Both “holy convocations” Lev 23:1-7:
- Both “rest days”: Ex 12:16
- Both “connected with deliverance from Egypt” : Ex 12:17
- Strangers must keep it with both : Ex 12:19